All Breakers players are eligible to play in ‘Gameday’, which offers what so many kids are missing out on – the fun & creative game not tampered with by coaching or officiating. Supervised and organized by coaches, Gameday provides players with the opportunity to make decisions and learn through playing.
Gameday is an hour long scrimmage/small games session with smaller spaces, quicker passes, more shots, more touches on the puck and ultimately more fun.
- On-Ice Coach present to provide tips, insight & supervision
- Teams structured day-of based on a pick-up format and split into even teams
- Emphasis on FUN, activity and ice time
- Volunteers are welcome to play music or keep score. Otherwise, no score will be kept.
Check out this video of Tony Granato, former NY Ranger & 2018 Olympic Hockey Head Coach, talking about the benefits of small-ice hockey:
Here are five reasons why you should play small-ice hockey this Spring:
1. It’s absolutely the most fun way to play hockey!
2. All players are involved in the play, making it more interesting for players even of different skill levels. Fewer players on the ice means more opportunities with and around the puck.
3. It becomes a game of strategy and position. Less space and less time requires quicker decision making.
4. Small-ice hockey is a “skills” based game, played in tight spaces at a fast pace. Because of this, you quickly improve your “skills” to adapt to this fast pace. It increases puck handling, team play, transition – an offense to defense/defense to offense, positioning, and time on the ice.
5. Goalies are always in the play, more shots, movement, and opportunities to play the puck.